I’ve always been a fan of a good old fashioned story of thievery. And I know I’m not alone judging by pop culture’s love affair with pilferers. From Robin Hood and his merry band’s redistribution of wealth scheme to De Niro and Pacino’s game of cat and mouse in Heat.
Even rock stars let their inner Jesse James shine sometimes. In fact I thought I would share some of my favorite tunes about robbing banks, jacking fools, and other nefarious deeds. Kind of like my own mini-version of Theme Time Radio minus the radio (or a legitimate host, etc.).
- Bank Job by the Barenaked Ladies sounds so sweet until you get to the part about ski masks and sawed off shotguns. It tells the story of bank robbery gone awry due to a bank full of nuns. You can hear a snippet of Bank Job on LastFM.
- Scooby Snacks by the Fun Lovin’ Criminals samples heavily from Tarintino’s Resvoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction (including the line that serves as the title of this post). They steal police cars, rob banks, and pick up ladies. All while high on scooby snacks. Listen to the tune on FLC’s website or watch the video on YouTube.
- Even the Beastie Boys get in on the act with Paul Revere. This little ditty follows the adventures of three outlaws, whiffle ball bats, beer, and climaxes with the robbing of a saloon. Listen to Paul Revere on the Hype Machine.
- Not every song is about a major heist. Been Caught Stealing by Jane’ Addiction celebrates the everyman’s crime – shoplifting (a.k.a the five finger discount). Watch the video on YouTube.
- I don’t think that The Reason by Hoobstank even has anything to do with criminal activities, but the video for the song pays homage to heist flicks …
I’m sure I omitted some great crime-related songs from my list. So I hope all you junior D.B. Coopers out there will share your favorite larcenistic ballad in the comments.